CRAWFORD | The 10 most-watched NCAA Tournament games in the Louisville market this year
WDRB sports columnist Eric Crawford takes a look at the most-watched NCAA Tournament games in the Louisville market so far this season.
Tuesday, March 31st 2015, 4:04 pm EDT by
Tuesday, March 31st 2015, 4:04 pm EDT
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — For years, Louisville has been the nation's No. 1 market for the NCAA Tournament. This year should be no exception.
But what games in the Louisville market have led the way? With a Final Four on tap that could beat last year's numbers, here are the most-watched tournament games in the city, though the Elite Eight round.
While UK's game against Notre Dame on TBS shattered college basketball records for a cable telecast, the rating this year represented a fairly significant loss from last year's regional final against Michigan, aired on CBS.
In general, broadcast games draw more than cable, even in this basketball-mad market.
For the first time, both Final Four games on Saturday will air on TBS. The championship game will be on CBS.
Here are the top 10 rated tournament games so far this season, as reported by The Nielsen Co. Each ratings point represents about 6,800 homes in the Louisville market, which includes Jefferson County and 29 surrounding counties in Kentucky and Southern Indiana.
The share (the second number in parentheses) represents the percentage of TVs in use tuned to the particular program.
And now, the top 10, starting with the most-watched, the University of Louisville's overtime loss to Michigan State in the Elite Eight on Sunday, which drew a 37 rating and 60 share on CBS (approximately 251,600 households).
1. Louisville-Michigan State regional final (CBS) 37.0/60
2. Kentucky-Notre Dame regional final (TBS) 36.4/54
3. Kentucky-West Virginia Sweet 16 (CBS) 35.4/52
4. Louisville-N.C. State Sweet 16 (TBS) 27.1/42
5. Gonzaga-Duke Elite Eight (CBS) 26.8/44
6. Kentucky-Cincinnati third round (CBS) 26.7/55
7. Kentucky-Hampton second round (CBS) 26.4/48
8. Louisville-Northern Iowa third round (TBS) 24.0/58
9. Louisville-UC Irvine second round (TBS) 21.4/36
10. Wichita State-Notre Dame Sweet 16 (CBS) 20.8/31
Copyright 2015 WDRB News, All Rights Reserved.