JCPS confirms investigation into former communications chief Helene Kramer
This is the second investigation involving Kramer since her arrival at JCPS in August 2015, the previous investigation released to WDRB News was heavily redacted. As a result of that investigation, Kramer was warned for gossiping about a fellow employee's sexual orientation.
This is the third announced departure from the communications department in less than two weeks. The news came less than a week after the district's primary spokesman, Ben Jackey, submitted his resignation letter. That resignation came just days after another communications staffer, Mandy Simpson, notified the district she would leave on May 22. Both Jackey and Simpson resigned from their positions after taking new jobs.
Sources tell WDRB that Hargens wants to bring former JCPS communications specialist Stephanie Bateman back on an interim basis. Hargens confirmed Friday that Bateman will come back next week to assist in the communications office until the end of the school year.
Kramer, who makes $127,698 annually, replaced Christi Lanier-Robinson, whose two-year contract was not renewed by JCPS. In March 2012, Hargens announced the hiring of Jamilah Fraser, a former chief communications officer with the Philadelphia Public School District to be the district's chief diversity, community relations and communications officer. However, after questions were raised about Fraser's background and qualifications, Fraser sent a letter to Hargens saying she would not accept the job.
The communications department has been the subject of restructuring and turnover since 2012, when Hargens froze or eliminated 89 central office positions as part of an administrative reorganization.
- KONZ | Lack of stability in JCPS communications, human resources remains an issue for Donna Hargens
- JCPS declines contract renewal for communications chief Helene Kramer
- JCPS spokesman Ben Jackey resigns from district, effective immediately
- JCPS communications chief warned for gossiping about fellow employee's sexual orientation
- JCPS paid fired spokeswoman $200,000 to avoid lawsuit
- JCPS communications director Helene Kramer had problems at prior job with LMPD
- JCPS investigating communications director Helene Kramer