Kentucky child dies after choking on cinnamon - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Kentucky child dies after choking on cinnamon

Posted: Updated:
Four-year-old Matthew died after choking on cinnamon. Four-year-old Matthew died after choking on cinnamon.

RICHMOND, Ky. (WDRB) -- A spice that is in almost every kitchen took a 4-year-old Kentucky boy's life this week.

Brianna Radar says her son Matthew climbed on top of the stove and swallowed cinnamon powder at their home in Richmond, Ky. The boy started choking and then collapsed. He was rushed to the hospital, but unfortunately died an hour and a half later.

Matthew's organs were donated to hopefully save other children's lives. The coroner ruled the death accidental and said that cinnamon can cause someone to choke or suffocate when inhaled.

Matthew's mother wants others to be aware of this kitchen hazard.

"(I want) to let people know cinnamon can kill," she said. "All these kids do the cinnamon challenge. They don't think about the fact that it can hurt them."

Cinnamon misuse is a common call to U.S. Poison Control Centers. More than 200 calls in six months is what the centers reported receiving in 2012.

Copyright 2015 WDRB News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.