Richmond, Ky., police officer dies after Wednesday shooting - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Richmond, Ky., police officer dies after Wednesday shooting

Posted: Updated:
Officer Daniel Ellis died at University of Kentucky Hospital early on Nov. 6, days after he was shot by a suspect while investigating a robbery. Officer Daniel Ellis died at University of Kentucky Hospital early on Nov. 6, days after he was shot by a suspect while investigating a robbery.
Gregory Ratliff Gregory Ratliff
Rita Creech Rita Creech
Carl Banks Carl Banks

RICHMOND, Ky. (WDRB) - Richmond Police Officer Daniel Ellis, who was shot while investigating an attempted armed robbery at a gas station, has died.

A KSP news release says that Officer Ellis died just before 2 a.m. Friday at the University of Kentucky Medical Center. He is survived by wife, Katie, an assistant principal at Madison Central High School, and their 3-year-old son, Luke.

The 33-year-old officer was searching the home of Gregory Ratliff on Wednesday morning, when Raleigh Sizemore allegedly produced a firearm and shot Ellis.

Following the initial shooting, police say an officer inside the residence returned fire, hitting Sizemore. Both Ellis and Sizemore were taken to the University of Kentucky Hospital. Sizemore was treated and released for non-life threatening injuries. He is charged with attempted murder of a police officer and unlawful imprisonment. Ratliff was also arrested and charged with complicity to commit murder of a police officer.

Police also arrested Rita Creech and Carl Banks and charged them both with complicity to commit robbery.

The KSP new release states, "The Richmond Police Department is extremely grateful for the prayers and support that have been extended to Officer Daniel Ellis, his family, friends, and fellow officers. They ask that you continue to pray for them as they grieve this tremendous loss, and that the privacy of the family is respected during this very difficult and trying time."

Dozens of police cars and fire trucks escorted Ellis' body from the U. K. Medical Center in Lexington this morning to the medical examiner in Frankfort.

Eric Johnson from Supporting Heroes says Ellis will never be forgotten. 

"Even after all the honors are over and he's laid to rest, the community will go back to normal, but his family won't go back to normal, the agency will not go back to normal," Johnson said. "This is devastating and will have have very lasting effects." 

By Friday afternoon, Officer Ellis' police cruiser was covered with mementos -- and it was clear that the rest of the community was also in mourning.

One by one, community members showed up to pay their respects to a fallen officer.

"Just a little bouquet of flowers to pay my respects," said John Robinson.

"When somebody is affected like affects the whole community," said Trena Lakes.

Outside the Richmond Police Department, flags flew at half-staff and Officer Ellis' police cruiser -- unit 3-33 -- was shrouded in black and covered with flowers and mementos from the community.

"I'm a truck driver and I just got back in and I just wanted to come up and, you know, show my respect for him," said Woody Brewer.

"Just so much going on right now, they need all the support they can get," said Robinson.

Most of the support today is from people who didn't know Ellis.

"It doesn't matter whether you knew him or not, it is what he stood for, and the fact that, you know, he's another human being just like us, only he's trying to keep us safe," said Cheryl Locher.

"These guys are like family around here...everybody I said, everybody knows everybody, it's just a bad day," said John Brewer.

And the Richmond community has strong feelings about the suspects.

"They're very, very, angry, angry and upset," said Cheryl Locher. "Shock, horror...ah...a wish that the gunman wasn't alive."

Right now, Richmond police are not talking about their fallen brother.

Tyrone Fields is chief of another eastern Kentucky police department, and says this kind of love and show of support makes the risk worth doing the job.

"The war on law enforcement is way out of control," said Chief Fields. "We don't know from one day to the next what's going to happen...but when something like this's just felt all over the state of Kentucky."

Ellis leaves behind a wife and a 3-year-old son. A fund has been set up at The People's Bank to help his family.

Funeral services for Ellis will be held at 11 a.m., Wednesday, November 11 at the EKU Alumni Coliseum. Visitation will be from 2-8 p.m., Tuesday, November 10 at EKU Alumni Coliseum.

In lieu of flowers the family has requested donations to the Kentucky Law Enforcement Memorial Foundation. Funderburk Building, 521 Lancaster Avenue. Richmond, Kentucky 40475-3102

To leave a tribute or message for Officer Ellis, CLICK HERE.


Copyright 2015 WDRB News. All rights reserved.

  • Sign Up for WDRB's Sports Newsletter

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.