INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Two Syrian refugee families who had been approved to be moved to the United States and were scheduled to arrive in Indianapolis on Thursday have been officially told they are not welcome.

A day after Gov. Mike Pence told all state agencies to suspend the resettlement of additional Syrian refugees in Indiana after the deadly attacks in Paris, an Indiana Family & Social Services official sent letters Tuesday to two organizations that help settle refugees saying the placement of the two Syrian families had been suspended.

The letters also told Exodus Refugee Immigration Inc. and Catholic Charities Indianapolis to notify its national resettlement agencies that all subsequent arrivals be suspended or redirected to other states.

Pence is seeking assurances from the federal government that proper security measures are in place.