BOZICH | My AP college basketball Top 25 ballot
With Kentucky loss at UCLA, it is time for a new Number One team in the Associated Press Top 25 college basketball poll.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – I try to include the records of the teams that I vote for each week in the Associated Press college basketball poll.
Look at the teams in my top 10. Half have already lost one game, three to other teams in my Top 10.
But with Kentucky’s loss at UCLA Thursday, it was time to recruit a fresh Number One team. I considered everybody in my top six, but settled on Michigan State.
Typically, Tom Izzo’s teams have lost two or three games by the first weekend in December. This might be better than the typical Tom Izzo team.
1. Michigan State (9-0) – Three top 50 wins (Kansas, Providence, Louisville) and a flawless record work for me.
2. North Carolina (6-1) – The Tar Heels are unbeaten with Marcus Paige running the show.
3. Kentucky (7-1) – I’ll beat John Calipari to it and say the Wildcats should be relieved to take an early defeat.
4. Duke (8-1) – I realize Indiana is a defensive dumpster, but the Blue Devils put on a dazzling offensive show Wednesday night.
5. Kansas (6-1) – I should have dropped the Jayhawks for only beating 2-6 Harvard by six. This isn’t ACT competition.
6. Villanova (7-0) – Let’s see what the Wildcats do with Oklahoma Monday night.
7. Iowa State (6-0) – The Cyclones host Iowa Thursday night. That will be worth a look.
8. Maryland (7-1) – The computer formulas are not as fascinated by the Terps. They’re 20th in Ken Pomeroy and 22nd in Jeff Sagarin.
9. Oklahoma (5-0) – Let’s see what the Sooners do with Villanova Monday night.
10. Purdue (8-0) – The Boilermakers play three home games this week, and their win probability is 98 percent in every one, according to Pomeroy.
11. Virginia (7-1) – We’ll know more after the Cavaliers’ next two games – West Virginia and Villanova.
12. Xavier (8-0) – The X-Men host the Crosstown Classic with Cincinnati Saturday. No punches, please, fellas.
13. Vanderbilt (6-2) – Should have won at Baylor Sunday night, but the Commodores’ blew a 13-point lead in the second half.
14. Arizona (7-1) – Impressive, gritty win at Gonzaga.
15. West Virginia (7-0) – Just when you think Bob Huggins has lost his fastball …
16. Miami (7-1) – The Hurricanes host Florida Tuesday night. Go ahead and DVR that one.
17. Butler (6-1) – Former Ballard star Kelan Martin is doing big things for the Bulldogs.
18. Louisville (6-1) – Yes, I did move the Cardinals up two spots after losing because their performance at Michigan State deserved a reward.
19. Cincinnati (8-1) – The Bearcats will play Xavier, VCU and Iowa State before conference play begins. What is the name of their conference anyway?
20. Gonzaga (5-2) – The Zags get UCLA at home Saturday and they’d better show more toughness than they should against Arizona.
21. Providence (8-1) – Three top 50 wins and their only loss is to Michigan State. Works for me.
22. UConn (6-2) – Let’s see what the Huskies do against Maryland Tuesday.
23. Oregon (6-1) – I could be talked out of this one. The Ducks lost at UNLV by 11.
24. Baylor (6-1) – The Bears have split their two toughest tests – losing to Oregon and beating Vandy.
25. Dayton (6-1) – Four Top 100 wins. One lopsided loss – to Xavier.
Copyright 2015 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.