Prosecutor says suspect arrested in connection with Waffle House - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Prosecutor says suspect arrested in connection with Waffle House homicide

Posted: Updated:
Marcus Threatt Jr. (Image Source: Floyd County Sheriff's Dept.) Marcus Threatt Jr. (Image Source: Floyd County Sheriff's Dept.)

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Officials say a suspect has been arrested in the murder of a man who was killed at a Waffle House restaurant in New Albany.

According to Keith Henderson, the Floyd County prosecutor, murder charges have been filed against Marcus Threatt, Jr. in connection with the case. The prosecutor also says Threatt is facing marijuana charges.

He is in custody in the Floyd County Jail. He was arraigned Monday afternoon and a judge entered a not guilty plea for Threatt. During his appearance, Threatt had seven people in court to support him. They were visibly upset and did not want to speak with the media.

Threatt has no bond and he will remain in jail.

Officials are not releasing many details because the investigation is still open.

Henderson would not comment on whether Threatt was the accused shooter or if the victim was allegedly buying or selling marijuana. Henderson says the focus of the investigation is the murder charge.

"There's no free pass to take someone's life," Henderson said.

Authorities say police are also looking at three other suspects who investigators believe are in some way involved with the crime.

Officials say surveillance cameras at the Waffle House were crucial in the investigation.

Officials say the shooting happened Saturday morning at the Waffle House restaurant on West Spring Street.

New Albany Chief of Police Col. Todd Bailey says 24-year-old Charles Fischbach, of Lanesville, was found on the ground near a vehicle in the restaurant's parking lot on Spring Street. Police say Fischbach had been shot.

Henderson says it appears the incident involved either a robbery or attempted robbery during a consensual drug deal.

Authorities say officers were advised of the situation just before 3 a.m. Saturday.

Chief Bailey says Fischbach was taken by EMS to University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Henderson filed an oral probable cause instead of a written one because the investigation is ongoing.

Henderson says the investigation into the case led authorities to U of L. He says that's where officials found some individuals to interview about the case.

Threatt is expected back in court next Monday to discuss his ability to hire an attorney.

Family members suggested they would be hiring one for him.

Copyright 2015 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.

  • Sign Up for WDRB's Sports Newsletter

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.