BOZICH | My weekly AP college basketball Top 25 ballot
With Oklahoma losing once and North Carolina losing twice, college basketball will have a new Number One team on Monday. Rick Bozich shares his AP Top 25 ballot.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – Before you leave me for Cam Newton, Peyton Manning, Beyonce, Joe Montana, Chris Martin and the Puppy Bowl, a limited edition, abbreviated look at my ballot in the Associated Press college basketball Top 25 poll this week.
Enjoy the game. Retweets appreciated. (Wink.)
1. Iowa – The Hawkeyes are on the (regional) cover of Sports Illustrated. They lead the Big Ten. They’re quite good on the offensive end. And I’ve already given North Carolina, Kentucky, Michigan State, Kansas and Oklahoma a chance.
2. Maryland – Yes, I know the Terps beat Iowa. The game was in College Park.
3. Villanova – I am prepared to be charged with anti-Big East bias.
4. Xavier – Maybe a little less anti-Big East bias.
5. Oklahoma – The Sooners are so perimeter-oriented that a loss like the Kansas State loss was bound to happen.
6. Kansas – West Virginia at home, followed by at Oklahoma. Big week for the Jayhawks.
7. Virginia – Would you believe me if I said I’ve become the chairman of the UVa Fan Club?
8. Michigan State – Beware: The Spartans have regained their groove.
9. West Virginia – I know the Mountaineers lost by 17 to Florida, which lost to Kentucky by 217 Saturday. Check the locations of those games.
10. Louisville – The Cardinals need to take that North Carolina performance on the road to Duke and Notre Dame this week.
11. North Carolina – I really liked this team before the season. I really wonder if they’re too soft today.
12. Miami – Beating Notre Dame at home and Georgia Tech on the road qualifies as a solid week for the Hurricanes.
13. Oregon – Look who’s sitting in first place in the Pac-12, Phil Knight University.
14. Purdue – Losing at Maryland is no reason to blush.
15. SMU – Yes, it bothers me to put a team that lost to Houston this high in the rankings, but nobody in the bottom 11 spots is Tom Brady or Gisele Bundchen.
16. Louisiana State – Yes, it bothers me to put a team that lost to Wake Forest, College of Charleston and Houston this high in the rankings, but somehow Ben Simmons University is leading the SEC.
17. Texas A&M – Losing on the road to Arkansas and Vanderbilt can happen. Losing a third straight SEC game at home to South Carolina is alarming.
18. USC – The Trojans have surged into second place in the Pac-12, but they’ll have to prove their legitimacy at the Arizona schools this week.
19. Arizona – Allonzo Trier’s return makes the Wildcats a team to watch again.
20. Kentucky – Yes, that was another ugly loss at Tennessee, but write off the Wildcats at your own risk.
21. Wichita State – Losing on the road to Illinois State should not happen.
22. Providence – Losing on the road to DePaul should not happen. (Funny how I didn’t hear from many Friars’ fans after that stinker.)
23. Iowa State – The Cyclones have a string of nice wins – as well as half-dozen defeats.
24. Dayton – The Flyers are making Archie Miller a hot name in the coaching grapevine again.
25. Indiana – Losing on the road to Penn State should not happen.
Dropped out: Notre Dame, Baylor, VCU.
Copyright 2016 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.