LEBANON, Ky. (WDRB) – An elderly woman was sent to University Hospital in critical condition after she was pulled from her burning home in Lebanon, over the weekend.

Firefighters with the Lebanon Fire Department responded around 6 p.m. Sunday to the house on Harrison Street, where Shirley Manges was trapped inside.

“A lot of smoke. A lot of light from the flames,” described neighbor Michael Stapp, who took video of the fire. “They were trying to get her out. One guy even went as far as to throw a piece of furniture through the window.”

Chief Richard Mattingly with the Lebanon Fire Department says Manges suffered burns over an estimated 40 percent of her body.

According to Chief Mattingly, the fire appears to have started as the result of a cigarette the 78-year-old was smoking in her bedroom

Manges' 80-year-old husband, Tommy, who uses a wheelchair to get around, was able to escape the burning home.

“I think he made a real valiant effort to try to get her out,” said Pastor David Whitlock with Lebanon Baptist Church.

Pastor Whitlock says the couple attends his church, located just across the street from their home.

Whitlock says Tommy Manges would care for his wife, who had health issues of her own.

“Both of them have a sense of humor and they’d get together and they’d light up the room,” said Whitlock. “This is a very supportive and loving community. I know that they’ll circle their arms around them and give them as much support as we possibly can.”

Tommy Manges did not want to speak on camera, but he told WDRB that he is grateful for all of the prayers and support from the community. He also says his wife’s condition is “touch and go”.

Copyright 2016 WDRB News. All rights reserved.