UPDATE: Man who 'accidentally' shot 8-yr-old indicted, arrested - WDRB 41 Louisville News

UPDATE: Man who 'accidentally' shot 8-yr-old indicted, arrested for reckless homicide

Posted: Updated:
Elgin Anders Elgin Anders

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A grand jury has indicted a man who claims he accidentally shot and killed an 8-year-old boy while handling his gun and, late Thursday afternoon, he was taken into custody. 

Elgin Anders was indicted on one count of reckless homicide Thursday afternoon, shortly afterward online records indicated he was booked into Louisville Metro Corrections. 

He has been charged with one count of reckless homicide.

The incident took place on Saturday, Jan. 9, in the Shawnee neighborhood.

Family members say 8-year-old Andre Lamont O'Neal, Jr. was a student at Northaven Elementary School in Jeffersonville, Ind.

"He was a good little boy. Smart and bright," his father, Andre Lamont O'Neal, Sr., said.

Andre Sr. says he received a call around 2 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 10, saying that his son had been taken to Kosair Children's Hospital.

"When I went in there, they told me what had happened with my son," Andre Sr. said. "He had got shot, and they tried to do everything they could do, but there wasn't nothing they could do."

Family members say the child had been dropped off at a babysitter's home on North 34th Street. While there at a gathering with several other kids and adults, police say the 8-year-old was somehow shot.

"We're still in the very early stages of our investigation. We don't know whether this was accidental or what we have," said LMPD spokesperson Dwight Mitchell, back in January.

Anders admits it was his gun that shot the little boy. He would not say why he had his gun out, but that he was trying to put it away when it accidentally fired.

"I didn't need it in my hand," Anders said. "I came out to the grill. I had barbecue sauce on my fingers. I licked the sauce off my fingers. It just slipped right out of my fingers."

Anders says he panicked and drove Andre Jr. to the hospital for treatment.

"It was a real shocking moment. We didn't really know what to do, so we took him ourselves. I held him to my chest," Anders said.

Anders says he is a father himself and would never harm a child.

O'Neal's family wants to know why an ambulance wasn't called and whether paramedics could have saved Andre Jr.'s life.

This story has been updated.


Copyright 2016 WDRB News. All Rights Reserved.

  • Sign Up for WDRB's Sports Newsletter

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.