BOZICH | My weekly AP college basketball Top 25 ballot
Louisville, Kentucky and Indiana all landed in the Top 15 in Rick Bozich's latest ballot in the AP college basketball Top 25 ballot. Villanova remains on top.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – I apologize. I didn’t wait for the end of the Boston College-Wake Forest and Temple-Houston games to file my weekly ballot in the Associated Press college basketball Top 25 poll.
But I did wait for Utah to close out Southern California.
I believe this list will work.
1. Villanova (24-3) – I didn’t say I was picking the Wildcats to win the national title. I’m merely voting them number one.
2. Kansas (23-4) – Jayhawks will take a seven-game winning streak to Baylor Tuesday.
3. Virginia (21-5) – If the Cavaliers win the NCAA title, I think I deserve a ring for motivating them to make their big push.
4. Xavier (24-3) – The Musketeers lost by 31 at Villanova. The rematch is Wednesday in Cincinnati.
5. Michigan State (22-5) – The Spartans won’t win the Big Ten, but they’re looking like my pick to win the national title.
6. Arizona (22-5) – The Wildcats have won six straight and moved to the top of the Pac-12. Pay attention.
7. Oklahoma (21-5) – You could talk me out of this one. The Sooners have lost three of their last five.
8. North Carolina (22-5) – Unlike Doug Gottlieb, I’m not ready to say Roy Williams will retire.
9. Iowa (20-6) – Losing to Penn State is not the way to close out a Big Ten title.
10. Louisville (21-6) – Two road losses, followed by two home wins, followed by two road games this week.
11. West Virginia (20-7) – After starting 4-0 in league play, the Mountaineers have split their last 10 Big 12 games.
12. Miami (21-5) – Big, big week in Coral Gables. Home with Virginia Monday. Home with Louisville Saturday.
13. Kentucky (20-7) – The Wildcats are still the team to beat in the SEC.
14. Oregon (21-6) – I can’t explain why the Ducks are ranked fourth in the RPI, but it’s true.
15. Indiana (22-6) – The Hoosiers have already lost James Blackmon Jr. They can’t afford to lose Robert Johnson to an ankle injury, too.
16. Maryland (23-5) – That loss at Minnesota put the Terps in a hole in the Big Ten race.
17. Purdue (21-7) – I’d like the Boilermakers a lot more if they had an elite point guard.
18. SMU (22-4) – Did you know you know the Mustangs started the day behind Temple in the American Athletic Conference race?
19. Duke (20-7) – I’m impressed that Mike Krzyzewski has won 20 games with six players.
20. Utah (21-7) – The Utes just moved into second place in the Pac-12 by beating UCLA and USC in Los Angeles.
21. Baylor (20-7) – Any time you have a 2-0 week in conference play, you deserve some dap.
22. Texas A&M (20-7) – The schedule sets up for the Aggies to win out.
23. Wichita State (21-7) – The Gregg Marshall to (fill in the blank) rumors should be starting any day.
24. VCU (20-7) – The Rams have moved ahead of St. Joseph’s and Dayton in the Atlantic 10 race.
25. St. Mary’s (22-4) – The Gaels completed a sweep of Gonzaga.
Dropped out: Dayton, Iowa State, Notre Dame, Texas, St. Joseph’s.
Copyright 2016 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.