BOZICH | My weekly AP college basketball Top 25 ballot
A week before the field for the NCAA Tournament is selected, Rick Bozich shares his next-to-last ballot in the Associated Press college basketball Top 25 poll.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – On Sunday we’ll be fussing about the NCAA Tournament draw. Until then, you can get warmed up by fussing about my Associated Press college basketball Top 25 ballot. (Against the grain pick at Number One included. Last week, 63 of 65 voters forgot Michigan State beat Kansas by six points.)
Ready, set, go … even I have major questions about a few of these teams.
1.Michigan State 26-5. The Spartans enter the Big Ten Tournament on a six-game winning streak.
2. Kansas 27-4. Hotter than the Spartans. Won 11 in a row.
3. Virginia 24-6. Tough to watch. Tougher to score against.
4. Villanova 27-4. Doubters will need proof from a Jay Wright team in the NCAA Tournament. Right?
5. West Virginia 24-7. An NBA scout told me this is the most overlooked team in the country
6. North Carolina 25-6. Champions of the ACC, but they’ve lost four of their last 10.
7. Xavier 26-4. They say this team is good enough to make the Final Four. We’ll see.
8. Oregon 25-6. In case you missed it, the Ducks won the Pac-12.
9. Indiana 25-6. Won the Big Ten by two full games because the Hoosiers won six times on the road.
10. Oklahoma 24-6. Rallied from a mid-season lull to win four of the last five.
11. Miami 24-6. A 15-point loss at Virginia Tech. Ugh.
12. Kentucky 23-8. Played well at Florida and better against Louisiana State.
13. Purdue 24-7. Who was the last team that hung 91 points on Wisconsin?
14. Utah 24-7. Coming like a freight train.
15. Louisville 23-8. Lost four of their last five road games.
16. Maryland 24-7. Top 10 talent, top 16 results. I don’t get the Terps.
17. Texas A&M 24-7. Wouldn't it be fun to watch the Aggies play UK for the SEC Tournament title?
18. California 22-9. Beware the Bears, who have won eight of nine.
19. Iowa 21-9. The Hawkeyes still have enough firepower to make a run.
20. Arizona 24-7. The Wildcats rallied to win six of their last eight.
21. Duke 22-9. No Amile Jefferson means no Final Four.
22. Seton Hall 22-8. Kevin Willard has the Pirates headed to the NCAA Tournament.
23. SMU 25-5. Believe it or not, Temple, not Larry Brown U, won the American Athletic Conference.
24. Texas 20-11. The Longhorns, not Baylor or Iowa State, finished fourth in the Big 12.
25. St. Mary’s 26-4. Two losses to Pepperdine are the only things that make people doubt the Gaels.
Dropped out: Wisconsin.
Copyright 2016 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.