LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Fire officials said food was burning in the kitchen of a Fern Creek apartment while a father of twin six-week-old babies was asleep on the couch.

The home was filling with smoke when firefighters arrived but the situation could have been much worse if it wasn't for the quick action of an 11-year-old neighbor.

Sixth grader Marissa Guiterrez Mayorquin had been living in the apartment building with her family for the last year. When she got home from school in the afternoon it was like any other day until she had to call emergency officials.

“I heard the alarm and then I smelt it so my grandma told me to call 911,” Guiterrez Mayorquin said.

She even tried to see if her neighbors across the hall were home as the smell of smoke grew stronger. She said she knew to call 911 because that's what she was taught in school.

“We knocked on the door but nobody would answer,” she said.

The Fern Creek Fire Department received the call Thursday evening and were on scene at Hudson Lane and Michael Edward Drive around 5 p.m.

“Smoke detector sounding, no one home. We get to apartment and neighbors are saying they think they're gone. No one was coming to the door,” said  Deputy Chief Robert Storrie.

Storrie said firefighters opened a window to the first floor apartment when smoke came flowing out and found a father and two, six-week-old infants inside.

“When they went in I seen all the smoke and there was a couple of kids in there and the man but he wouldn't answer the door.” Guiterrez Mayorquin said.

Storrie said the father fell asleep while cooking food. While he said it wasn't heavy smoke, it was enough to be dangerous for newborns and their small lungs.

The babies and the father were rushed to the hospital with police escort.

At last check, Deputy Chief Storrie said the infants were doing better.

Copyright 2016 on WDRB News. All rights reserved.