JCPS launches new 'user-friendly' website
JCPS launched a new user-friendly website on Tuesday. The new system built on a state-of-the-art content management system.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- After a year of development, Jefferson County Public Schools launched a new user-friendly website on Tuesday.
The website, which you can find here, was built on a state-of-the-art content management system developed with the help of Fig Leaf Software, which is based in Washington, D.C. It is the same company that helped develop the city of Louisville’s website at LouisvilleKy.gov.
“We are always looking for the best way to provide information about our district efficiently and effectively to our school community, the larger community, and people from across the state or country who are interested in learning about our school system,” said JCPS Superintendent Donna Hargens in a prepared statement.
Hargens said the goal of the site is to meet the "information needs of parents and students."
It will allow families to research individual schools and understand the process of registering and applying to JCPS schools. Parents and students will be able to monitor class enrollments and assignments and find detailed bus information.
There are also sections that talk about early childhood programs and before and after school childcare options, as well as learn about upcoming events and programs.
The Jefferson County Board of Education encouraged the district in November 2014 to revamp its website.
In March 2015, the district contracted with Fig Leaf and JCPS officials worked with the company through the initial discovery and design phases and then both teams started actual development in late fall.
Pages on the old site have been updated and migrated into a new system and many new pages have been created.
- It’s easier to find information. The new site is lighter, brighter, and more engaging, and the new navigation system focuses on the type of content that parents and students need most often.
- New menus and pages also are available for employees, business partners, the community, and the media.
- The website now has a more powerful search feature, and it’s optimized to help users quickly find the information, tools, forms, and publications they need.
- The site now looks and works better on any type of device—desktop computer, tablet, or smart phone.
- A new calendar compiles all district information in a single location, but filters make it easy to find specific types of events.
The JCPS website is now published in Drupal, a content management system that makes it easier for staff members throughout the district to collaborate.
In addition, JCPS has trained staff in each department to manage their own pages, which are then edited for review before publication.
Reporter Antoinette Konz can be reached at 502-585-0838 or @tkonz on Twitter.
Copyright 2016 WDRB News. All rights reserved.