LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- tents are the latest item banned from Churchill Downs for Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby days. The track keeps up with the latest technology trends in compiling its can- and can't-bring lists each year.
You'll want to pack carefully.
The track does not allow selfie sticks or drones.
You cannot bring coolers, cans, bottles, tents, umbrellas, or purses larger than 12 inches, in any dimension.
You can bring food, water and soft drinks in clear, sealed plastic bags or bottles.
You'll have to take any prohibited items back to your vehicle -- or throw them away at security checkpoints.
Here are more specific lists from Churchill Downs.
These items are allowed:
• Food items in clear plastic bags (maximum size 18” X 18” - no trash bags). Limit of two bags per person.
• "Box" lunches in clear plastic bags or containers (maximum size 18" X 18" - no trash bags)
• Water and soft drinks - plastic bottles only (sealed, clear and unopened)
• Purses, but none larger than 12” in any dimension (subject to search)
• Baby/diaper bags - only if accompanied by a child (subject to search)
• Small cameras - none equipped with detachable lenses or lenses of 6” or more.
• Sunscreen (non-glass containers only)
• Small personal music systems, radios and televisions (No boom boxes)
• Cellular phones, smartphones and tablets
• Seat cushions smaller than 15" X 15" that do not contain metal arms and/or backs, zippers, pockets or flaps
• Strollers (only if carrying a child)
• Chairs (Gate 3 only)
• Blankets & tarpaulins (Gates 1 & 3 only)
Secutity may require patrons to turn on electronic items.
Banned Items on Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby Days:
• Coolers (Styrofoam coolers, ice available at infield purchase points)
• Cans (any size or type), glass bottles or containers
• Pop-up or patron tents -- no poles or stakes of any kind
• Laptop computers and camcorders
• Cameras with detachable lenses, or those equipped with a lens that is 6” or larger
• Selfie sticks
• Purses larger than 12" in any dimension
• Alcoholic beverages
• Illegal substances
• Luggage (includes briefcases)
• Duffel bags
• Weapons (including knives)
• Fireworks, noisemakers, air horns, laser lights/pointers, mace or pepper sprays
• Drones and remote controlled aircraft
• Animals (with the exception of service animals for guests with disabilities)
• Any items deemed dangerous and/or inappropriate
A complete list of the prohibited and permitted items is available online at the official Kentucky Derby event website and the Churchill Downs website.
A policy that prohibits re-entry to the track for ticketed patrons who leave the grounds during the Oaks and the Derby will be enforced again this year. The policy first went into place in 2015, growing out of security concerns that included counterfeit tickets and wristbands, and previously-scanned tickets sold outside the track's admission gates.
Copyright 2016 WDRB News. All rights reserved.