LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Authorities have determined the cause of a fire that happened Monday at the University Park Apartments.

The Louisville Metro Arson Bureau says the fire was started by a malfunctioning electrical outlet on a second floor balcony.

Officials responded to the fire in the 2200 block of James Pirtle Court in Louisville.

MetroSafe says calls came in just before 4 p.m. Monday about a fire at the complex near Eastern Parkway and Preston Highway.

It took about 50 firefighters nearly 40 minutes to get the fire out.

A fire department spokesperson says four units are heavily damaged and likely unlivable and eight total have been affected. According to officials, a total of 33 residents were displaced and property damage totaled about $450,000.

No injuries were reported, although at least one person did have to be checked out by emergency crews.

Copyright 2016 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.