City workers relocated to renovated Edison Center in Old Louisville
The city is celebrating a brand new space for some of its workers.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The city is celebrating a brand new space for some of its workers.
About 325 people are working inside the renovated Edison Center in Old Louisville, built in 1925. It's now home to the Air Pollution Control Board, board of elections, and other agencies.
The workers were moved from their location on Barret Avenue -- which has had mold problems for years.
In addition to the main building, two auxiliary buildings on the site are being revitalized. At the corner of 7th and Dumesnil streets, the 3,000 square foot “Gatehouse” building will soon be home to North Lime Donuts, a popular Lexington coffee and donut shop.
The Louisville Leopard Percussionists will also soon be relocating to the "Warehouse" building, located at the north end of the site along Dumesnil.
"This is a spectacular modern office space in an historic building for our city employees,” said Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer. "And this project has the added benefit of helping revive a portion of historic Old Louisville."
The Edison Center is named after Thomas Edison. Edison premiered his electric lightbulb at the Southern Exposition, a World’s Fair type of event that lasted from 1883-1887, in the area of Old Louisville that is now St. James Court and Central Park. The Edison Center is located less than a mile from the site of the Southern Exposition.
Copyright 2016 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.