DETECTIVE: 'Crime' involving Crystal Rogers believed to have happened at Houck farm
A number of different agencies are helping to search the property.
BARDSTOWN, Ky. (WDRB) -- The Nelson County Sheriff's Office executed a search warrant on Tuesday in connection with the Crystal Rogers case.
Rogers disappeared on July 3, 2015. The 35-year-old mother of five's car was found on the Bluegrass Parkway with her purse, phone and keys still inside.
Months later, the Nelson County Sheriff's Office named Rogers' longtime boyfriend, Brooks Houck the only suspect in her disappearance, also saying Rogers was likely dead.
On Tuesday, crews from several agencies began an approximately 300-acre search of a farm belonging to Houck's mother.
"We are searching the farm of Rosemary Houck, who is the mother of the suspect, Brooks Houck, and we are searching the farm adjacent to it -- right next door to it," said Detective Jonathan Snow with the Nelson County Sheriff's Office. "That's pretty much all I can tell you right now. We're not going to disclose anything about what we hope to find, or what we have found."
During the search, Detective Snow said the farm is where a "crime" involving Rogers is believed the have happened when she disappeared.
"I mean, I felt that the whole time. Whether they find something on the farm or they don't, I still feel like that's where it happened," Roger's mother, Sherry Ballard said.
Officials with the Nelson County Sheriff's Office, Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, FBI and Louisville Metro Police helped in the search. At least 14 cadaver dogs were also involved.
"They have a lot of manpower out there. There are a lot of dogs. And that just makes me feel like they're trying to search that farm really good and I truly appreciate that," Ballard said.
While detectives say they found some "items of interest" during Tuesday's search, it's unclear exactly what those are.
"They took some kind of farm equipment I think. A piece. They haven't went into a whole lot of detail with us," Ballard said.
"I'm hopeful. I think we're moving in the right direction. It's been a long road and it may be even longer but I think we're getting close," Detective Snow said.
A few weeks ago, the Sheriff's office executed search warrants involving Houck's brother and grandmother.
The search is expected to resume Wednesday morning.
- Woman's attorney issues statement after home searched in connection with Crystal Rogers' disappearance
- Authorities search Bardstown woman's home in connection with Crystal Rogers case
- Woman steals signs for missing Bardstown mother
- Bardstown community gathers to pray for Crystal Rogers' safe return
- Prime suspect's grandmother in Crystal Rogers' disappearance refuses to testify
- Man accused of lying about the disappearance of Crystal Rogers released from jail
- Family of Crystal Rogers demonstrates in front of Justice Center in Bardstown
- Nearly three months after her disappearance, Crystal Rogers' family is still searching
Copyright 2016 WDRB News. All rights reserved.