JCPS: Atherton High student brought gun to school to sell to another student
The Atherton High freshman arrested Tuesday for bringing a loaded .380 handgun to school told officials he brought it to sell to another student for $200.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The Atherton High freshman arrested Tuesday for bringing a loaded .380 handgun to school told officials he brought it to sell to another student for $200.
According to the the student's behavior detail report, obtained by WDRB News through an open records request, "student witnesses came forward after they saw a student with a gun in (physical education class)."
"Student claims he brought the gun to school to sell to another student for $200," the report reads. "The gun was loaded and retrieved by the (school resource officer."
The report states the handgun was "camouflage" in color and shows that the 16-year-old student was given a 10-day out of school suspension and "mandatory assessment." His suspension is scheduled to end Oct. 7 and will then likely be assigned to one of the district's alternative schools.
The incident happened on Tuesday morning, with an alert sent to parents around noon.
In his letter to parents, principal Richard Guetig emphasized "how important it is for our students to continue to report any rumors or conversations they may hear about threatening behavior at our school."
"We must all be vigilant to ensure the safety and security of our campus for all students and staff," he said.
This is the fifth incident involving a weapon being found on JCPS property in the past month.
On Sept. 7, two Iroquois High School students were arrested after bringing a loaded 9 mm handgun to the school.
- Atherton High student arrested after bringing loaded gun to school
- WDRB Investigates | Drug and gun cases in JCPS schools
- UPDATE: Two Iroquois High students arrested after bringing loaded gun to school
- Noe Middle student arrested after bringing two guns to school
- LETTER: Handgun found on playground of JCPS elementary school
- Two Meyzeek Middle School students are being disciplined after bringing BB guns to school
- JCPS crisis teams helping students cope with recent violence
Reporter Antoinette Konz can be reached at 502-585-0838 or @tkonz on Twitter.
Copyright 2016 WDRB News. All rights reserved.