LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A Pennsylvania man is now facing charges after his girlfriend was killed when the SUV he was driving crashed and rolled down an embankment. 

Police say the crash happened Sept. 17 on US 50 near the Jennings-Ripley County line, but the survivor, 39-year-old Kevin Bell from Dover, Pennsylvania wasn't found at the scene until three days later. 

ISP Sgt. Stephen Wheeles says police responded to a report of a crash and that an injured man was on the side of the road. Inside the vehicle, troopers found the body of 37-year-old Nikki Reed from Seymour, Indiana. 

Police say Bell told them he had been trapped in the vehicle and that it had taken him three days to crawl to the road, but investigators later learned that Bell had a cell phone with him and sent at least one text message before he was found. Family members question why he didn't use it to call for help. 

"I think that he could have got out of there and done a lot more sooner than three days," said Reed's cousin, Will Tungeitt. 

In a 9-1-1 call, you can hear the voice of a driver who saw Bell on the side of the road and stopped to help. 

"You fell and broke your shin? That's why you're sitting here because you can't move?" the 911 caller asked Bell.

Bell says he fell, but there was no mention of the 1999 Ford Explorer that crashed into a tree leaving 37-year-old Nikki Reed of Seymour for dead. 

“That was horrible because he said he fell. He didn't say nothing about our cousin in the car down the bank,” the victim’s cousin, Pam Smith said.  

"I believe there's something going on. Who doesn't call 911?" Smith said. 

According to family members, Bell met Reed online, and had only met him in person twice. Reed's family says she agreed to drive to Pennsylvania to get Bell and take him back to Indiana for her son’s birthday party.

According to the probable cause affidavit, Bell told investigators he remained in the vehicle for two days, sipping Gatorade before he was finally able to free himself from the vehicle. He says he heard Reed's cell phone ring several times, but he was unable to find it. He also said he was unable to locate his cell phone until he left the vehicle and saw it on the ground. 

That's when he says he saw the battery was about to die, and sent one text message to his boss. Bell says his battery then died and he was unable to charge the phone again because his charger was broken in the crash. 

Bell is now charged with leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death, failure to report a dead body, false informing and driving on a suspended license. He was also wanted on a warrant out of Pennsylvania. 

Bell was still hospitalized in as of Sept. 26. He has not responded to WDRB's requests for an interview. 


Copyright 2016 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.