No serious injuries reported after 3-alarm fire at Bardstown Road condo complex
A 3-alarm fire forced residents to evacuate the Brown Suburban Condominium Homes Thursday night.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A 3-alarm fire forced residents to evacuate the Brown Suburban Condominium Homes Thursday night.
Firefighters responded to the fire at the condo at 3320 Bardstown Road near Goldsmith Lane around 9 o'clock.
The fire started in an apartment on the third floor and was contained to that unit, but smoke filled the hallways, and residents were forced to evacuate. Many of the residents are elderly and in wheelchairs, which made the evacuation more difficult, but everyone got out safely.
Firefighters say several apartments have smoke and water damage.
Buechel Fire Chief Adam Jones says two people were checked by EMS at the scene.
"We made several medical assists to get them out of there -- nobody was transported," Jones said. "Louisville Metro EMS did check out two different residents that came out -- didn't transport them to the hospital or anything like that so everybody's safe."
It took about an hour to put out the fire.
After an investigation, Jones says the fire started when a stove was unintentionally left on after someone accidentally bumped a knob. The overheated stove set a wall on fire,triggering the sprinkler system.
There is substantial smoke and water damage to the third, second and first floors of the building.
The Red Cross helped 10 adults and six children displaced from several apartments with the most damage.
Residents without damage are back in their homes. Others are working with cleanup crews and insurance adjusters.
Copyright 2016 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.