After viral video, health experts point out other dangers for kids at home
Frightening video shows a dresser falling over on top of twin boys in Utah. A local safety and health expert explains there are dangers parents need to look for in their own homes.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) - After frightening video showed a dresser falling over on top of twin boys in Utah, a local safety and health expert explained there are dangers parents need to look for in their own homes.
Officials with Norton Healthcare say around four kids a year in our area are sent to their emergency room for injuries from accidents like a falling dresser. In the last few years, one child in our area died.
The video is hard to watch, and it has made its rounds on the internet. It shows twin boys being curious toddlers, climbing onto a dresser that topples over and slams them beneath it.
One boy wriggles free then helps his brother escape. Both are OK, and their mom is now warning other parents.
"Everybody needs to bolt down their dressers to the wall," Kayli Shoff said. "I mean, we just didn't think about it."
The video is shocking to parents across the nation, but not to this nurse.
"It wasn't too shocking, that's generally how it happens," said Sharon Rengers, a nurse manager with Norton Children's Prevention and Wellness, who adds that kids love to climb, and for that reason, bookshelves and TVs should be mounted.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, one child dies every two weeks when a TV or furniture falls onto him or her. Every 24 minutes, a child is sent to the ER for an accident from furniture falling. Rengers says a good rule is if it has drawers, mount it.
"I would mount it because it has drawers, the kids could crawl over that and it could be unstable," she said. "It's pretty stable there now."
Renger also suggests locking up cabinets with chemicals and cutting the loop in your blinds.
"These blinds, see they have the circle here and they're knotted right here?" Rengers pointed out. "The kids can come by and put their head through here, and they can walk away and choke themselves."
Rengers also suggests getting on your child's level.
"[I] kind of like to have parents crawl on the floor and see what they see, because it's kind of shocking to see their eye level and what they might get into."
Another easy fix is make sure your outlets are covered up.
If all the securing seems like a lot of effort, Rengers says it is worth it.
"Considering that over the consequences of being in an emergency room or a funeral home, it's really a cheap fix."
Copyright 2017 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.