BOZICH | My weekly AP college basketball Top 25 ballot
Louisville should move from sixth to at least fourth (and perhaps third) in the new Associated Press college basketball Top 25 poll on Monday.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – Welcome to the only story of the night that does not begin with an ode to Tom Brady. I even tried to find a way to squeeze Michigan onto my ballot for the Associate Press college basketball Top 25.
1. Gonzaga (24-0) – Guess what? ESPN College GameDay is taking the Zags seriously these days.
2. Villanova (22-2) – The Wildcats are at Xavier Saturday if you want to drive to Cincinnati for an in-person look.
3. Kansas (20-3) – The Jayhawks could certainly fall at Kansas State Monday night.
4. Louisville (19-4) – If the Cards clear the Virginia hurdle, beware.
5. UNC (21-4) – Five of the Tar Heels’ final seven games are against Top 20 teams, starting at Duke Thursday.
6. Baylor (20-3) – Back-to-back losses make me wonder if I should have dropped the Bears a few more spots.
7. Oregon (21-3) – The Ducks have a chance to take control of the Pac-12 by winning at UCLA and at USC this week.
8. Florida State (20-4) – The Seminoles need to prove they can be as dominant on the road as they’ve been in Tallahassee.
9. Wisconsin (20-3) – The Badgers were as careless with the basketball as I’ve ever seen them Sunday – and still had enough to beat Indiana.
10. Virginia (17-5) – The Cavaliers are 7-3 in the ACC, which is the same record they had last year when Tony Bennett had better players.
11. Arizona (21-3) – Were the Wildcats as bad as they looked at Oregon Saturday or was that simply one of those days?
12. UCLA (21-3) – If the Bruins don’t handle Oregon in Pauley Pavilion Thursday, they can likely forget the Pac-12 regular-season title.
13. Cincinnati (21-2) – The Bearcats face their primary conference test of the season Sunday at SMU.
14. Kentucky (18-5) – Louisiana State is the perfect RX for what ails John Calipari’s team.
15. West Virginia (18-5) – The Mountaineers are about to be overtaken by Iowa State in the Big 12.
16. Florida (18-5) – Trap game at Georgia Tuesday? Absolutely.
17. Purdue (19-5) – The Boilermakers visit Bloomington Thursday – and will likely be favored.
18. Duke (18-5) – I expected more than an eight-point win over Pitt with Mike Krzyzewski back on the bench.
19. Butler (18-5) – With trips to Marquette and Providence this week, don’t be stunned if the Bulldogs lose once – or twice.
20. South Carolina (19-4) – The Gamecocks think they can win the SEC – and they’re currently the leader.
21. Maryland (20-3) – It wasn’t a bad loss against Purdue, but it left the Terps open to the charge that they lack a signature victory.
22. Saint Mary’s (21-2) – If the Gaels don’t beat Gonzaga Saturday, nobody is going to beat the Zags until March.
23. SMU (20-4) – Fran Fraschilla really likes this team – and that’s good enough for me.
24. Xavier (17-6) – Nice win at Creighton without Edmond Sumner.
25. Wichita State (21-4) – Gregg Marshall owns the Missouri Valley Conference.
Copyright 2017 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.