Warning: Virginia pet owner says dog nearly died ingesting sugar - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Warning: Virginia pet owner says dog nearly died ingesting sugar-free gum

Posted: Updated:
courtesy: WTVR courtesy: WTVR
courtesy: WTVR courtesy: WTVR

RICHMOND, Va. (WDRB) -- A Virginia family is warning others about the dangers of sugar-free gum for dogs. 

Katherine Dalton tells WTVR in Richmond, Virginia that her two-year-old Labrador retriever nearly died, after ingesting two-dozen pieces of chewing gum. Dalton says her oldest son called her, when he found Sookie  unconscious. "She was completely non-responsive, drooling, eyes rolled back in her head... It looked really bad, it looked like she was not going to make it," 

As her husband rushed Sookie to the veterinarian, she went online to see what might have happened.  The first thing she found was toxicity. And sugar-free gum was on the list of things toxic to dogs. That's when she discovered a 40-piece container of Orbitz gum had been emptied by Sookie.

That brand of sugar-free gum contains xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is also found in candy, toothpaste and even sugar-free peanut butter.

Dalton is now warning families about the little-known danger associated with artificial sweeteners like xylitol.

Copyright 2017 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.

  • Sign Up for WDRB's Sports Newsletter

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.