1 person injured after explosion inside Murray State dorm
An explosion at Murray State University caused serious damage to a dorm on campus Wednesday night.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- An explosion at Murray State University caused serious damage to a dorm on campus Wednesday night.
Emergency personnel responded to New Richmond College, a dorm on campus, just before 6 p.m. EDT Wednesday. Kentucky State Police said one person has confirmed injuries. Dakota Fields, 26, was transported to Murray-Calloway County Hospital, where he is listed in stable condition.
The Governor's Scholar Program, through which hundreds of students stay at Murray State every summer, tweeted that all its members are safe and accounted for.
A witness on the scene said the explosion sent debris into a nearby parking lot, with minor damage to nearby buildings. The dorm was unoccupied at the time.
Calloway County Emergency Management Director Bill Call said a natural gas leak caused the explosion.
Copyright 2017 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.