Teen electrocuted in bathtub sent photo of frayed extension cord - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Teen electrocuted in bathtub sent photo of frayed extension cord before she died

Posted: Updated:

LUBBOCK, Tx. (WDRB) -- The family of a Texas teen are releasing the final text from a teen who was electrocuted using her cell phone in a bathtub. 

14-year-old Madison Coe sent a picture of her phone plugged into an extension cord on top of a towel just before she died. The picture was accompanied by a text message that said, "When you use and (sic) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath."

It was originally believed Coe dropped her Samsung Edge Plus in the water while taking a bath, but the phone was reportedly never immersed in the bath with her. 

KCBD reports that Coe's grandmother Donna O'Guinn said there was a burn mark on Coe's  hand. Investigators believe she may have touched the extension cord, which was frayed. 

The family wanted to release the text to send a message to young people about the dangers of cell phones near water.

Coe was at her father's house in Lovington, New Mexico, when she died.

Related stories: 

Copyright 2017 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.

  • Sign Up for WDRB's Sports Newsletter

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.