LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Doctors in Australia had to surgically remove dental wire from a woman's intestine ten years after she swallowed it.
In an article published in the medical journal BMJ, Doctors say the 30-year-old woman went to the emergency room complaining of cramping and severe abdominal pain. She was treated and released.
But the woman returned two-days later in extreme pain. A C-T scan revealed something had punctured several places in her intestine.
Surgeons discovered a seven-centimeter piece of wire had perforated her bowl. She hadn't worn braces on her teeth for 10 years, but the wire apparently came from her braces.
Copyright 2017 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.