Hopkinsville planning full weekend of events around total solar eclipse
Hopkinsville will have some of the best seats in the country, lining up perfectly for a total solar eclipse.
HOPKINSVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Hopkinsville is buzzing with excitement, praying for good weather and making final preparations for Monday's total solar eclipse.
"Everyone is incredibly excited," said Alissa Keller with the Museums of Historic Hopkinsville Christian County. "(We're) a little nervous, I would say, because we don't really know what to expect."
On Monday, the moon will pass between the sun and the earth, casting a shadow in a narrow path from Oregon to South Carolina. Hopkinsville will have some of the best seats in the country, lining up perfectly for a total solar eclipse.
If the historic event doesn't get you all excited, business owners want you to know there will be something for everyone all weekend long.
"Joan Brannon will be doing a community drum circle on the Farmers Market stage downtown," said Julie-Anna Carlisle, the owner of Milkweed.
With three days of music, rides and activities downtown Hopkinsville will host multiple concerts starting Friday.
The town isn't just selling a good time, or one-of-a-kind souvenirs, for every visitor. The focus is safety-first. Coordinators are making sure certified eclipse glasses are distributed around the community. And that's a big help, because many places are selling out fast.
"I will be completely honest: I had no expectation of selling them all," Keller said. "And as of today we are completely sold out. I thought we would have eclipse glasses forever."
planned for this weekend, Comicon will be at the convention center, and local distilleries are hosting their own festivals and special tours.
There's plenty more. So to plan your trip, click here.
- Where can I get WDRB eclipse glasses?
- How to make a pinhole camera to watch the total solar eclipse
- Can you get a decent picture of the eclipse with your smartphone?
- Hopkinsville businesses getting ready for thousands of tourists for solar eclipse
- VIDEO FAQ | What you need to know about the Total Eclipse on Aug. 21, 2017
- Watch the Great American Eclipse with WDRB & the U of L Planetarium
- School districts make plans for the solar eclipse viewing on Aug. 21
- WDRB News and Heine Brothers team up to give away solar eclipse glasses
- The 5 things you need to know to get the best view of the total solar eclipse
- Hopkinsville prepares for influx of 100,000 eclipse visitors
Copyright 2017 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.