Bond set to $250,000 for Louisville man accused of killing 7-year-old
Police say 7-year-old Dequante Hobbs Jr. was using a tablet at the kitchen table when he was fatally shot.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The man accused of killing a 7-year-old will need $250,000 to get out of jail.
That's the bond for 23-year-old Wyatt Williams, who is charged with the May 21 murder of Dequante Hobbs Jr.
An arrest report says that at 8 p.m. on Sunday, May 21, several people were were "hanging out" in the rear of Dr. W.J. Hodge Street, talking and playing dice. During that time, police say Williams pulled out a gun and fired several shots toward one of the people in the group.
One of the bullets went through a window at a home on West Madison Street, hitting Hobbs in the neck while he was sitting at the kitchen table.
Williams has been charged with murder.
During a news conference Wednesday, LMPD homicide Det. Lt. Emily McKinley said detectives followed several leads from the community during the investigation before arresting Hobbs.
“After going through all those leads and those tips, we were able to finally conference this case with the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office and provide an arrest today,” McKinley said.
McKinley said Williams was on home incarceration for another crime when he was arrested Wednesday.
Williams has other cases pending that include weapons charges, possession of marijuana and heroin trafficking. In July, police arrested Williams for allegedly punching a woman in the face several times.
According to McKinley, it took several weeks to piece together enough information from different people along with other evidence to make the arrest.
McKinley said police do not expect to arrest anyone else in the case.
- Butterfly release by family of Dequante Hobbs brings attention to violent crime
- Signs asking for information in 7-year-old Louisville boy's murder are being stolen
- Louisville 7-year-old shot and killed by stray bullet to be honored at rally hundreds of miles away
- On first holiday without him, family remembers Dequante Hobbs with fireworks
- Police say 7-year-old killed by stray bullet while sitting at kitchen table
- 7-year-old shot through his kitchen window in Louisville laid to rest
Copyright 2017 by WDRB News. All rights reserved.