9-year-old boy accidentally set on fire after playing with gasoline
LMPD said a 9-year-old boy was rushed to the hospital after being accidentally set on fire Tuesday evening.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A 9-year-old who caught on fire while playing in his backyard is expected to stay in the hospital for several days.
The accident happened just after 8 p.m in the 5200 block of Alba Way near Poplar Level Road and East Indian Trail in Okolona. LMPD said two kids were "pretending to cook" and playing with gasoline, when one of them was badly burned.
The boy's mother tells WDRB that her son has burns on his shoulder, back, neck and chest. The family doesn't know whether skin grafts will be necessary.
LMPD spokesman Officer Vadim Dale says it was an accident. "They started a fire, and I think they panicked when maybe the fire got a little bigger than expected, and one of the children suffered some burns. But at no point was there any intent to harm one another."
The boy was rushed to University Hospital with third degree burns, but he's expected to be OK.
Police are still investigating, but so far, no charges have been filed.
Copyright 2017 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.