Southern California's Thomas Fire forces new evacuations, threat - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Southern California's Thomas Fire forces new evacuations, threatens wealthy enclave

Posted: Updated:

(FOX NEWS) -- One of the biggest wildfires in California's history sparked new evacuation orders Saturday in Santa Barbara County, as residents in the wealthy enclave of Montecito hoped less powerful winds would keep the flames away from their homes.

Nearly 8,500 firefighters continue to battle the Thomas Fire in Southern California, which has burned since Dec. 4 and killed one firefighter, destroyed more than 1,000 structures and threatened 18,000 more. The blaze has scorched 267,500 acres so far, an area larger than New York City and roughly the size of the Hawaiian island of Maui.

“It is a beast,” Santa Barbara County Fire Department Division Chief Martin Johnson said at a news conference. “But we will kill it.”

The fire is now the third-largest in California history, and continued to move rapidly westward, cresting Montecito Peak on Saturday just north of Montecito. Known for its star power, the enclave boasts the mansions of Oprah Winfrey, Ellen DeGeneres and many other celebrities.

Winfrey expressed her dismay on her Twitter account.

"Still praying for our little town. Winds picked up this morning creating a perfect storm of bad for firefighters," Winfrey tweeted. It was not clear if the former talk show host was in Montecito.

Montecito residents piled into cars and fled on Saturday, turning downtown Santa Barbara into what one resident called "a ghost town."

There were mandatory evacuations around Montecito and neighboring Summerland came as firefighters sprayed water onto hot spots sparked by wind-blown embers.

Montecito resident Darren Caesar told the Los Angeles Times his wife, and two of his three daughters were planning to evacuate.

“Look at how many firefighting assets they have. I know what they’re doing. I trust that they can do everything they can to protect the structures,” he told the newspaper. “But it’s the wind. Nobody can fight the wind.”

Cal Fire officials believe winds will ease Sunday with gusts of up to 35 mph, but lower intensity winds are still extremely dangerous.

The blaze, located about 100 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles, is now 40 percent contained despite hot Santa Ana winds that have kept firefighters busy trying to catch up with embers continuing to help its spread.

Despite the new evacuation orders, there was a spot of good news down the coast. Emergency officials announced evacuation orders for the city of Ventura were lifted, as the fire has shifted.

As the northerly "sundowner" wind was driving the fire south and west, firefighters could only hope it would calm down.

"When the sundowners surface in that area and the fire starts running down slopes, you are not going to stop it," Mark Brown, of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, told a news conference. "And we are not going to stand in front of it and put firefighters in untenable situations."

The firefighter who was killed, Cory Iverson, 32, died of burns and smoke inhalation, according to autopsy results announced Saturday.

Since the fire began on Dec. 4, about 95,000 people have been placed under mandatory evacuation. The evacuation zone near Santa Barbara on Saturday was 17 miles long and up to 5 miles wide and the new expansion encompassed about 3,300 people.

The cause remains under investigation. So far, firefighting costs have surpassed $100 million.

Copyright 2017 Fox News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.