BOZICH | My weekly AP college basketball Top 25 ballot
Kentucky remains in the Top 10 and Louisville in the Top 20 in Rick Bozich's weekly ballot in the AP college basketball poll.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — Quiet times in college basketball last week. Credit final exams. Not many dazzling mid-week games. Not many upsets in the AP Top 25.
Wichita State and Notre Dame will tumble when the latest Associated Press college basketball Top 25 is announced at noon. Arizona State and Oklahoma will continue their unexpected gains.
Here is my latest ballot:
1. Villanova (11-0) — The Wildcats haven’t played well enough that I won’t make any comments about Jay Wright’s clothing allowance.
2. Michigan State (10-1) — The Spartans have entered the brief CreamPuff portion of their schedule, although Oakland didn’t get the memo Saturday.
3. North Carolina (10-1) — Tennessee threw everybody but Phil Fulmer at the Tar Heels Sunday but North Carolina advanced.
4. Arizona State (10-0) — Six Top 100 wins, including taking down Xavier and Kansas. Solid, Bobby Hurley.
5. Miami (9-0) — This is probably too generous to the Hurricanes, who haven’t beaten anybody but Minnesota.
6. Kentucky (9-1) — Solid win against Virginia Tech, but the Wildcats have not played a road game.
7. Duke (11-1) — The Blue Devils took last week off.
8. Xavier (10-1) — East Tennessee State still doesn’t understand how it coughed up a 20-point second half lead Saturday.
9. Purdue (11-2) — The Boilermakers treated Butler like the junior varsity Saturday.
10. West Virginia (9-1) — The Mountaineers also took the week off.
11. TCU (10-0) — Guess what? The Horned Frogs took the week off.
12. Texas A&M (9-1) — The Aggies’ SEC opener at Alabama will be a joy, but not until Dec. 30.
13. Oklahoma (8-1) — I was ahead of the curve with the Sooners but I’m guessing a few folks noticed what they did to Wichita State.
14. Kansas (8-2) — The Jayhawks needed a buzzer beater to avoid a third straight loss at Nebraska.
15. Wichita State (8-2) — Don’t be too harsh to the Shockers. They were introduced to Trae Young.
16. Virginia (9-1) — The Cavaliers have some nice wins, but none against Top 50 opponents.
17. Gonzaga (9-2) — This isn’t one of Mark Few’s better teams. The Zags needed needed overtime to beat North Dakota.
18. Arizona (8-3) — The Wildcats have rebounded to win five straight after their lost week in the Bahamas.
19. Tennessee (7-2) — The Vols only two losses have been to Villanova and North Carolina.
20. Louisville (8-2) — The Cards figure to climb to 10-2 before they visit Rupp Arena.
21. Cincinnati (9-2) — The Bearcats had a solid week, toppling Mississippi State and UCLA.
22. Texas Tech (9-1) — The Red Raiders have climbed to 15th in Ken Pomeroy’s rankings.
23. Clemson (9-1) — Nice wins over Ohio State and Florida — and neither game was at home.
24. Arkansas (8-2) — The Razorbacks are the only team to beat Oklahoma.
25. Notre Dame (8-3) — If the Fighting Irish made a free throw or a block out, they’d be 9-2.
Copyright 2017 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.