Attorney for Haymarket Whiskey Bar owner Matthew Landan files su - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Attorney for Haymarket Whiskey Bar owner Matthew Landan files subpoena to identify rape accuser

Posted: Updated:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – An attorney for Haymarket Whiskey Bar owner Matthew Landan is seeking to identify a woman who accused Landan of raping her by subpoenaing information from the woman’s employer.

Attorney Andrew Horne will seek testimony from a Monnik Beer Company representative on Jan. 4 about the woman who claimed on Facebook that Landan raped her. Horne believes she works for Monnik and was using an alias in the Facebook posting, according to court records.

Brian Holton, one of the brewery's owners, said he was not ready to comment because he had not received the subpoena.

Horne said the woman's identity is necessary to include her in the lawsuit.

Landan has filed a lawsuit against the woman, identified as “Jane Doe 1” in the suit, and other unknown “Jane Does” and “John Does” who accused him of rape and sexual assault on Facebook.

The woman posted a picture of Landan on Facebook on Nov. 13, saying, "Matthew Landan is a rapist" and accused him of raping her. 

Included in the deposition notice, filed Dec. 15 in Jefferson Circuit Court, is a picture of a woman appearing to be working at Monnik. Horne is seeking testimony from someone at the brewery who will identify the woman and provide details of a “beer brew collaboration” scheduled for Nov. 13 with Haymarket, according to the documents.

In addition, Horne has subpoenaed the brewery for any information of a business relationship between Monnik and Haymarket and details of discussions between employees of the two businesses regarding the woman's allegations against Landan.

Landan’s lawsuit claims “Jane Doe 1” made false claims that other women were contacting her that they had been raped too. The lawsuit says that after the Facebook post, several other people made false claims about Landan.

The lawsuit also names two former Haymarket employees, Eric Snider and Christopher Maggio, as the two men who staged a walk out of employees shortly after the allegations surfaced. The employees are accused of defamation for telling the media about the walkout and saying there had been similar sexual assault claims against Landan.

Landan claims that after the walk out occurred Snider and Maggio "attempted a low ball purchase offer" for the bar. 

The former employees have filed a counterclaim denying this, arguing Landan asked them to make an offer to purchase the bar. 

The former employees say the woman's Nov. 13 Facebook post was shared more than 776 times and had 71 comments, “the vast majority of which were supportive.”

Snider and Maggio deny they said any statements that “would cast” Landan in a “false light.”

In addition, the employees say the bar was closed at the instruction of Landan and only reopened the day he filed the lawsuit, Nov. 29.

As part of their claim, the former employees argue Landan is trying to “silence any and all public discourse regarding the accusations against him for criminal sexual misconduct.”

And Landan is trying to send a message that a refusal to conduct business with him in response to the allegations “will result in litigation,” according to the counterclaim,

The counterclaim is seeking unspecified monetary damages, dismissal of the original lawsuit and a jury trial.

Copyright 2017 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.