Galt House briefly evacuated due to fire in electrical closet
For the second time in four days, guests at Louisville's Galt House were briefly evacuated due to a fire.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- For the second time in four days, guests at Louisville's Galt House were briefly evacuated due to a fire.
The fire took place just after 6 a.m. Wednesday at the hotel, which is located near the corner of West Main Street and South 5th Street. According to a spokeswoman for the hotel, the fire originated in and was contained to an electrical closet.
"Sprinklers immediately extinguished the fire, but in order to protect the safety of guests, the Galt House evacuated the hotel while a safety inspection took place," the spokeswoman said.
Guests have since returned to their rooms and all restaurants in the hotel are open for business.
It's the second time in four days the Galt House has been evacuated due to a fire. The previous incident occurred on Saturday, just after 5 a.m.
Louisville Fire Dept. Chief Greg Frederick said that fire started on the 23rd floor in a maintenance room. He says about 55 firefighters and command officers went to the scene and put the fire out quickly.
Once the fire was out, crews worked to ventilate the building. Frederick says guests were evacuated, but no guests were staying above the 19th floor, so no rescues were required.
Guests and staff were allowed back into the building as fire crews were ventilating.
Copyright 2018 by WDRB News. All rights reserved.