Linda Belcher wins special election to finish Dan Johnson's term in Bullitt County's 49th district
Linda Belcher received more than two-thirds of the vote en route to winning Tuesday night's special election for Bullitt County's 49th district.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Linda Belcher received more than two-thirds of the vote en route to winning Tuesday night's special election for Bullitt County's 49th district.
Belcher received 3,386 votes to Rebecca Johnson's 1,561. Johnson is the widow of Republican Rep. Dan Johnson, who committed suicide last year.
Belcher will now finish Dan Johnson's term through December. However, Rebecca Johnson and Belcher will be back on the ballot again later this year. Both are running for the full term, which begins in 2019.
There was some controversy with the polling locations. Some Mt. Washington voters who were eligible to vote were mistakenly told they weren't. Voters with any questions were asked to call the Bullitt County Clerk at (502) 543-2513, or the Kentucky State Board of Elections at (502) 573-7100.
I'm looking forward to the General Election and working towards winning it," Rebecca Johnson said in a statement Tuesday night. "Hopefully any polling discrepancies will be fixed by then. The local GOP, and RPK are looking into it."
Belcher held the seat before narrowly losing to Dan Johnson in 2016. She was first elected in 2008 when she replaced her husband on the ballot after he was killed in a car wreck.
- Voters in Bullitt County's 49th district to choose replacement for State Rep. Dan Johnson in Tuesday's special election
- Somber mood encompasses Kentucky State House after Rep. Dan Johnson's suicide
- RAW VIDEO | Dan Johnson's widow says her husband 'felt like he couldn't fight anymore'
- Final denial: Ky. State Rep. Dan Johnson maintained his innocence in last news conference
- Wife of Ky. State Rep. Dan Johnson wants to replace him in the legislature
- Kentucky State Rep. Dan Johnson dies of self-inflicted gunshot wound in Mt. Washington
Copyright 2018 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.