Teachers across Kentucky prepare for pension protest Monday in Frankfort
Teachers are planning a statewide rally in Frankfort in response to the pension vote.
BULLITT COUNTY, Ky. (WDRB) -- Teachers are planning a statewide rally in Frankfort in response to the pension vote.
Dozens of Bullitt County teachers will attend the demonstration Monday, including math teacher Kimberly Ludwig. Ludwig said the pension changes, attached to a wastewater bill, will hurt efforts to recruit and retain new teachers.
“This was kind of just another slap in the face," she said. "'I’m gonna sneak this in. I’m gonna push this through.'"
The pension battle sparked months of protests in Frankfort. Lawmakers could hear the chanting through the house and senate chamber walls Thursday night when the latest pension bill passed.
“Ultimately, we would love it if Gov. Bevin wouldn’t sign this,” Ludwig said.
Even with Bevin's signature expected, rally organizers said the goal of the protest is to make sure their voices are heard.
Ludwig said the protests helped block the original broader sweeping pension bill.
“I feel that without that, it would have sailed right through," she said. "I think it didn’t go through because we were out there and so loud."
The Bullitt County teachers are planning to leave early Monday morning and are calling it the biggest rally yet.
The Kentucky Education Association officials say shuttles will be available for teachers once they arrive in Frankfort for the rally. Officials say anyone planning on attending should avoid going downtown, and should instead park buses and private vehicles at one of three schools where shuttles will run from each location from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., then again from noon to 3 p.m.
KEA officials have provided the following information for anyone wishing to take a shuttle to the rally:
- Juniper Hills Park, 800 Louisville Road, Frankfort, KY 40601: The drop-off and pick-up location point for shuttles from Juniper Hills will be at the corner of Shelby and Todd Streets. Officials say it is well marked, and a colorful water park is near the entrance. Shuttles from Juniper Hills will be marked with blue signs.
- Western Hills High School, 100 Doctors Drive, Frankfort, KY 40601: Western Hills is located on the West side of Frankfort, off Route 127, near the Frankfort Regional Hospital. The drop-off and pick-up location point for shuttles from Western Hills will be a the corner of Shelby and Campbell Streets. Shuttles from Western Hills will be marked with yellow signs.
- Franklin County High School, 1100 East Main Street, Frankfort, KY: Franklin County High is on the East side of Frankfort, off Route 60 on the way to Georgetown on 421. The pick-up and drop-off point for shuttles from Franklin County High will be on the corner of 2nd and Capitol Avenues. Shuttles from Franklin County High will be marked with green signs.
- Pension benefits for future Kentucky teachers set for big changes under bill passed Thursday
- Teacher absences force Kentucky school districts to call off classes
- Ky. Attorney General announces intentions to file lawsuit over hastily passed pension reform bill
- Kentucky Senate passes hastily filed pension reform bill; school districts across the state cancel class hours later
Copyright 2018 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.