Kentucky AG Beshear files lawsuit to block pension bill
Kentucky Attorney General Andy Beshear has filed a lawsuit to block the pension bill that Gov. Matt Bevin signed into law on Tuesday.
FRANKFORT, Ky. (WDRB) -- Kentucky Attorney General Andy Beshear has filed a lawsuit to block the pension bill that Gov. Matt Bevin signed into law on Tuesday.
Beshear filed the lawsuit in Frankfort Wednesday on behalf of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the Kentucky Education Association, and the Kentucky State Lodge Fraternal Order of Police.
The lawsuit claims the 291-page bill known as SB 151 was a "surprise" bill that no one had time to read before it was passed. Beshear says the way the bill was rushed through violates Kentucky law requiring new bills to receive three readings on three different days.
The suit alleges SB 151 "substantially alters and ultimately reduces the retirement benefits" of more than 200,000 members of the pension system, including teachers, police officers and firefighters.
It further states that it will cause "irreparable injury" by forcing many public servants to retire early and noted that some harm has already been caused because teachers have begun calling in sick as a "direct consequence of SB 151's elimination of their ability to use such days to calculate retirement eligibility."
The lawsuit asks the Franklin County Court for a temporary injunction and a permanent injunction to block the law that Beshear says contains 15 violations of the inviolable contract.
Bevin revealed he has already signed the bill in an interview with a radio host Tuesday night.
- Pension benefits for future Kentucky teachers set for big changes under bill passed Thursday
- Teacher absences force Kentucky school districts to call off classes
- Ky. Attorney General announces intentions to file lawsuit over hastily passed pension reform bill
- Kentucky Senate passes hastily filed pension reform bill; school districts across the state cancel class hours later
- Teachers having a huge impact on debate over pension reform in Frankfort
- Time and momentum appear to be running out on Kentucky's pension bill
- Ky. Gov. Matt Bevin posts video about teachers' pension system
- Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin says teachers protesting pension bill are misinformed
Copyright 2018 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.