Growing number of Kentucky schools to close Friday because of teacher rally
Here's the list of schools planning to close April 13 so teachers can go to Frankfort.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A growing number of school districts in Kentucky are closing on Friday to accommodate another rally by teachers in Frankfort.
Jefferson County Public Schools has decided it will be closed on April 13. The Jefferson County Teachers Association had called for teachers to use a personal day to make their presence felt at the Capitol.
Many other schools already made plans to close April 13 including:
Other schools are planning early dismissals for students including Marion County Schools. Nelson County Schools posted on social media that students will be dismissed two-and-a-half hours early, but all childcare facilities will remain open as usual.
Fayette County Schools in Lexington is the largest of the school systems in Kentucky to cancel classes on April 13.
Friday's rally is planned by some teachers and organizations who say Governor Matt Bevin's veto of the state budget puts education funding in jeopardy. They are asking lawmakers to take action to pass a budget that supports education funding before the legislative session ends Saturday.
Schools across the area have been scheduling rallies before and after school Thursday to support teachers and their effort to speak out.
Thousands of teachers marched on the capitol on March 30 and April 2 to protest a pension bill, which has since been signed by Governor Matt Bevin. The fate of the pension law is now in court, after Attorney General Andy Beshear filed suit over the constitutionality of parts of the measure.
- JCPS cancels classes for Friday because of the number of teacher absences
- Schools across Louisville hold walk-ins to protest cuts to education funding
- Kentucky AG Beshear files lawsuit to block pension bill
- Teachers will make presence felt when Ky. lawmakers return to Frankfort, but how many remains to be seen
- IMAGES | Thousands rally in Frankfort protest pension reform bill, education cuts
- Thousands of Ky. teachers voice their displeasure with pension reform bill by marching on Capitol
Copyright 2018 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.