Man who stabbed Kentucky boy to death as he slept formally sentenced
Officials say Ronald Exantus stabbed 6-year-old Logan Tipton to death in December of 2015 as the child slept.
VERSAILLES, Ky. (WDRB) -- A man accused of stabbing a 6-year-old Kentucky boy to death has been formally sentenced to spend 20 years behind bars.
The sentence was handed down for Ronald Exantus on Tuesday, according to WKYT.
Last month, a jury recommended that Exantus get 20 years for the death of 6-year-old Logan Tipton.
The jury recommended two 10-year sentences for second-degree assault to run consecutively for a total of 20 years. He was also sentenced to one year for fourth-degree assault, which will run concurrently, and was the maximum recommendation the jury could give.
Exantus was found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity. He was charged with murder, burglary and assault for the death of Tipton. Exantus was taken into custody after breaking into a home in Versailles on Dec. 7, 2015 and stabbing Tipton to death as he slept.
The boy cried out during the attack and woke his sister. Logan's father tackled Exantus and held him down until police arrived.
During the six-day trial, the defense argued Exantus was insane at the time of the crime, however both the defense and prosecution admitted that he killed the child.
- Man accused of stabbing Kentucky boy to death found NOT GUILTY by reason of insanity
- Man accused of killing 6-year-old Kentucky boy blames TV show
- Six-year-old Ky. boy fatally stabbed during attack in his bedroom
- Trial for man accused of murdering 6-year-old boy to start Monday
- Prosecutors will seek death penalty for man accused of murdering 6-year-old
Copyright 2018 WDRB News. All rights reserved.