Holiday World opens for 72nd season on Saturday, May 5
Officials say the park will open with about $3.5 million of improvements.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Holiday World is about to open for the 2018 season -- but this time, officials say it will feature $3.5 million worth of improvements.
According to a news release, the Santa Claus, Indiana, amusement park opens on Saturday, May 5. The Splashin' Safari water park will open a few days later, on May 10.
Officials say the park will open with about $3.5 million of improvements, including:
- A new control system for The Voyage, billed as the world's second-largest wooden roller coaster.
- Restoration of Scarecrow Scrambler, a ride first added to the park in 1975.
- A charging station for electric cars.
- Additions to the park's menu, including loaded waffle fries, sausage on a stick, turkey bowls, pulled pork sandwiches and 12 ICEE flavors.
- New events including a stunt show, a magical weekend show and a strolling brass band. These events will premiere on Memorial Day Weekend.
The Splashin' Safari water park will also include several new additions:
- Tembo Falls: The news release describes this attraction as, "a water slide complex with eight junior slides, including twisters, a helix, a mini-bowl and two racing slides."
- Tembo Tides: It's Tembo Falls -- but for kids. Includes a junior wave pool, plus spray features for younger children.
- Riverside Retreats: mini cabanas
"We're adding a fun elephant-themed water-play area for younger children which will open in early June," said park president Matt Eckert, in a statement. "Tembo Falls and Tembo Tides are designed for children who are under 54 inches tall, but their older siblings and parents are welcome to enjoy the slides and wave pool with them."
A maze will be added during the park's Happy Halloween Weekends.
For more information, CLICK HERE. You can also call 1-800-GO-SANTA.
Copyright 2018 by WDRB News. All rights reserved.