IMAGES | Dressed in Pink: Kentucky Oaks crowd ready to cheer on the fillies
Race fans take gate changes and the new parking plan in strike.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- It's a "Pink Out" at Churchill Downs, as thousands of racing fans gather to cheer on the fillies running in the 144th Kentucky Oaks.
Pink hats, suits, scarves, flowers and even pink drinks are part of the celebration.
When the Kentucky Oaks Survivors Parade started ten years ago, people were asked to wear pink. That's when Oaks day really took on the cause for breast and ovarian cancer survivors.
The parade of 144 survivors for 2018 helped raise $15,000 from donations made on their behalf.
The money goes to help support early detection, prevention and treatment of breast and ovarian cancers.
The much-talked about parking plan has gone fairly well for most patrons. Most people got the message that the new transportation plan means no shuttles from Papa John's Cardinal Stadium on Oaks and Derby.
For $20, people can park at the stadium -- but wear comfortable shoes because you'll have to walk about 20 minutes to the track.
Shuttles do run from the Kentucky Expo Center on Oaks and Derby, but you have to have a permit that most people purchased with seating. If you don't have one, plan on getting in your steps on the way to the entry gate.
If you need more parking info, CLICK HERE.
General admission tickets for the infield are $60 for Oaks and $80 for Derby day.
What you can bring to Churchill Downs:
There is a long list of things you can and can not bring to Churchill Downs. Umbrellas are not allowed, so it's best to invest in a rain poncho before heading to the track.
- Food items in clear plastic bags (maximum size 18" X 18" - no trash bags)*
- "Box" lunches in clear plastic bags or containers (maximum size 18" X 18" - no trash bags)
- Water and soft drinks - plastic bottles only (sealed, clear and unopened)
- Purses, but none larger than 12" in any dimension (subject to search)
- Baby/diaper bags - only if accompanied by a child (subject to search)
- Small cameras - none equipped with detachable lenses or lenses of 6" or more **
- Sunscreen (non-glass containers only)
- Small personal music systems, radios and televisions** (No boom boxes)
- Cellular phones, smartphones and tablets**
- Seat cushions smaller than 15"X15" that do not contain metal arms and/or backs, zippers, pockets or flaps
- Strollers (ONLY if carrying a child)
- Chairs (Infield Gate ONLY)
- Blankets & tarpaulins (Infield and Paddock Gates ONLY)
- * Limit of two bags per person
- ** Patrons could be required to turn on electronic items
- Coolers (Styrofoam coolers, ice available at infield purchase points)
- Cans (any size or type), glass bottles or containers
- Pop-Up or Patron Tents- no poles or stakes of any kind
- Laptop Computers and Camcorders
- Cameras with detachable lenses, or equipped with a lens that is 6" or larger
- Selfie Sticks
- Purses larger than 12" in any dimension
- Alcoholic beverages
- Illegal Substances
- Luggage (includes briefcases)
- Duffel bags
- Umbrellas (Umbrellas are not allowed during Derby Week: Opening Night- Derby Day)
- Weapons (including knives)
- Fireworks, noisemakers, air horns, laser lights/pointers, mace or pepper sprays
- Drones and remote controlled aircraft
- Personal transportation devices (e.g.Hoverboards)
- Animals (with the exception of service animals for guests with disabilities)
- Any items deemed dangerous and/or inappropriate
Post time for the 144th Kentucky Oaks is scheduled for 6:12 p.m.
Copyright 2018 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.