LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – A Bullitt County police chief accused of rape says the claim is the result of a break up with the alleged victim.

Last week, revelations came to light of rape accusations against Pioneer Village Police Chief DJ Reynolds. The information was part of a court file in a case against Hillview Police Detective John Nissen, who was indicted on May 1 on charges of theft, witness tampering, and official misconduct.

On September 21, 2017, the woman told Hillview Police that she had been raped on a number of different occasions while living with Reynolds.

After the interview, Nissen took the woman to Reynolds’ house, “gathered money from her alleged perpetrator,” and then took her to Wal-Mart to buy a phone, according to a summary of the investigation by the Bullitt County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s office.

In an open letter to "residents" posted to the Pioneer Village Police Facebook page on Saturday, Reynolds wrote that the woman “is a friend I have cared for and dated on and off over a 16-year time period. In short, I simply tried to end this relationship, after it became apparently clear my friend had a substance abuse problem.”

Reynolds claims the rape accusation is a result of that break-up.

“The response from this break-up came back to me in the form of a horrifyingly, vindictive, and completely untrue accusation from the accuser who provided such statements during an interview while she was under the influence of intoxicants,” Reynolds wrote.

WDRB is not identifying the woman because she is an alleged sexual assault victim.

A Kentucky State Police spokesperson said last week that Reynolds is still under investigation. However, his attorney, Thomas Clay, says that he has been cleared of wrongdoing.

“I’m a police officer, ok,” Reynolds said during an interview with investigators. “I do things by the book. I don’t do anything wrong. Ever. I just don’t do that.”

Following the visit to Wal-Mart, the documents say Nissen took the woman to a hotel room and then had oral sex with her while on-duty. Nissen has been reassigned to administrative duty, and his police powers have been taken away.

Nissen said he told the woman to leave the area because she felt unsafe; not because he wanted her to avoid cooperating with investigators.

Nissen is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday.

Related content: 

Copyright 2018 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.