Signs of Summer: 4 Louisville pools scheduled to open Memorial Day weekend
Lifeguard positions are still available.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Louisville Metro Parks says the four outdoor pools operated by the city's Parks and Recreation Department will open for the season on Saturday, May 26.
Those pools include: Algonquin, Norton, Fairdale and Sun Valley Park.
All pools will be fully staffed with lifeguards, but positions are still available. That's why the department is hosting a course to train people interested in becoming a lifeguard.
The training is being offered at the Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center in Crescent Hill Park from 4-9 p.m. Monday, May 21 through Friday, May 25. Participants that complete the course and become certified will have all fees waived if they commit to working at a Louisville Parks and Recreation pool for one year.
To qualify for the course, on the first day participants must be able to:
- Swim 300 yards continuously -- 100 freestyle, 100 breaststroke, and 100 choice of freestyle or breaststroke.
- Tread water for two minutes, no hands.
- Swim 20 yards and surface dive 10 feet retrieving a 10-pound brick. Once swimmer has retrieved brick then the swimmer must swim 20 yards on their back while holding both hands on the brick to the original starting point.
- The swimmer must exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Participants have 1 minute and 40 seconds to complete those tasks.
Call Keith Smith at (502) 895-6499 to register for the course.
It will cost $2 for children 17 and younger and $3 for adults 18 and over to swim. A photo ID is required for anyone age 9 or older, and children 8 and under must be accompanied by a guardian 12 or older with photo ID.
Photo IDs for children who need them are available from the Parks Department for $4 per card. For more information, call (502) 897-9949.
May 26, 27 & 28: Memorial Day Weekend & June 2 – August 4 pools will open with the following schedules:
1614 Cypress Street, 40210
Open Daily: 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. • Closed Tuesdays
Fairdale (Nelson Hornbeck Park)
709 Fairdale Road, 40118
Open Daily: 1 p.m. – 6 p.m. • Closed Mondays (but open Memorial Day)
Norton (Camp Taylor Memorial Park)
4201 Lee Avenue, 40213
Open Daily: 11 a m.- 4 p m • Closed Thursdays
Sun Valley Park
6506 Bethany Lane, 40272
Open Daily: 1 p.m. - 6 p.m. • Closed Wednesdays
Copyright 2018 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.