Community honors memory of Bardstown officer killed in line of duty 5 years ago
Five years after Bardstown Police Officer Jason Ellis was ambushed and killed, his family and members of the community gathered to honor his memory.
CHAPLIN, Ky. (WDRB) -- Five years after Bardstown Police Officer Jason Ellis was ambushed and killed, his family and members of the community gathered to honor his memory.
Officer Ellis is buried at Highview Cemetery and that's where dozens of people came to pay their respects Friday morning.
With the sound of taps playing, surrounded by family and friends, Ellis' widow and two young sons watched as the community honored their fallen hero five years after his murder.
Ellis was killed on May 25, 2013.
He was shot in an ambush while clearing debris from Exit 34 of the Bluegrass Parkway.
During Friday's service, Ellis' widow, Amy, was understandably emotional, speaking about that day and how she chooses to remember her husband.
"Looking back five years ago today, it feels like a lifetime ago: like it was someone else's life," she said. "It would be easy for me to just simply fold up and allow myself to become overcome with grief. Instead I choose to honor Jason and memorialize him by remembering him as a person because Jason was more than an officer."
Ellis' murder is still unsolved and KSP is handling the case.
Police have looked back at the cases he has worked, but have no strong leads right now. Investigators say they won't let the time that has passed stop them from trying to find the killer.
- Amy's Story | Widow of Bardstown Officer Jason Ellis reveals the fear that haunted her most and her life moving forward
- KSP: Officer Ellis was 'ambushed,' part of 'premeditated' act
- Bardstown Chief: Officer Ellis was targeted
- Bardstown candlelight vigil honors officer Jason Ellis
- "FOREVER OUR HERO": Widow of slain officer Jason Ellis speaks out
- One year later: Looking back on the murder of Officer Jason Ellis
- 3 years after his death, Jason Ellis' K-9 partner helps family remember fallen officer
- Bardstown community mourns fourth year since Officer Jason Ellis murdered
Copyright 2018 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.