Road construction season ramps up this weekend
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Sunday marks the beginning of July and the heart of the road construction season.
Among several projects drivers will deal with is the closure of the left two lanes of the Kennedy Bridge all day Monday for expansion joint testing. Crews will also work overnight on the Gene Snyder Freeway that could lead to delays between I-65 and Beulah Church Road.
And in Shelby County, major delays are expected during the evenings and overnight on I-64 because of bridge joint repairs.
Here's a full list of those projects:
- Interstate 65 South: The two left lanes will be closed across the John F. Kennedy Bridge (mile markers 136.3 to 137.3) due to expansion joint testing. The lane closures are scheduled for all day on Monday, July 2 beginning at 9 a.m.
- Interstate 71/264 (Watterson Expressway) interchange: Shoulder closures and delays possible due to bridge painting.
- Interstate 264 (Watterson Expressway): Lane closures and delays possible at the Breckenridge Lane interchange (Exit 18) due to ramp widening. Lane closures are possible in the evenings from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning. Shoulder closures are possible during daytime hours.
- Interstate 71: Lane closures and delays possible near Zorn Avenue and Poplar Hill Court (mile marker 1.7 and 3.9) due to painting of steel bridge beams. Lane closures are possible in the evenings from 7 p.m. until 6 a.m. the following morning. Lanes on Zorn Avenue underneath I-71 are shifted.
- Interstate 265 (Gene Snyder Freeway): Lane closures and delays possible between Interstate 65 and KY 864 (Beulah Church Road), mile markers 10.2 to 15.6, due to concrete pavement repairs. Lane closures are possible on weekends from 9 p.m. on Friday until 5 a.m. on Monday.
- US 31: Roadway is reduced to one lane in each direction on the Clark Memorial Bridge over the Ohio River (mile markers 0.0 to 1.1) due to bridge cleaning and painting. Additional lane closures are possible in the evenings from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. the following morning. Traffic will be directed through the work zone during those hours using flagging operations. Sidewalks are closed to pedestrians and cyclists.
- US 31W (Dixie Highway): Lane closures and sidewalk closures in place between Greenwood Road and Heaton Road (mile markers 11.7 to 14.5) due to construction for access management and bus rapid transit lines. Roadway is reduced to two lanes on southbound Dixie Highway in two locations between Heaton Road and Upper Hunters Trace and between Blanton Lane and Greenwood Road.
- US 42: Lane closures and delays possible between I-264 (Watterson Expressway) and the Jefferson/Oldham County line (mile markers 5.7 to 11.8) due to sidewalk ramp repairs. Shoulder closures are possible weekdays 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- US 60 (Shelbyville Road): Shoulder closures possible between Hurstbourne Parkway and Watterson Trail (mile markers 7.8 to 9.6) due to sidewalk ramp repairs. Shoulder closures possible weekdays 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- US 60A (Eastern Parkway): Roadway is reduced to one lane in each direction between Poplar Level Road and Royal Avenue (mile markers 5.5 to 5.9) due to bridge replacement. Speed limit in work zone is reduced to 25 mph.
- KY 1747 (Hurstbourne Parkway) South: Lane closures and delays possible at intersection with Taylorsville Road (mile markers 10.9 to 11.1) due to extension of turning lanes. Lane closures are possible weekdays 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. and Sunday – Thursday evenings from 7 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning.
- KY 1747 (Hurstbourne Parkway): Lane closures and delays possible between Bardstown Road and Stony Brook Drive (mile markers 7.4 to 10.5) due to sidewalk ramp repairs. Shoulder closures are possible weekdays 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- KY 61 (Preston Highway): Lane closures and delays between KY 44 and Hillbrook Drive (mile marker 14.5 to 17.7) due to roadway widening and realignment. Motorists should watch for equipment entering and exiting the roadway.
- KY 480 (Cedar Grove Road): Lane closures and delays possible between the Lickskillet Creek Bridge and the Bullitt/Nelson County line (mile markers 3.3 to 11.7) due to drainage and safety improvements.
- US 60 (East Main Street): Lane closures and delays possible between Martin Luther King Boulevard and Douglas Avenue (mile marker 9.3 to 9.7) due to overhead walkway construction. One lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction. The speed limit in the work zone is reduced to 35 MPH.
- US 60 (East Main Street): Lane closures and delays possible at the intersection with Douglas Street and Langford Avenue (mile marker 9.7) due to intersection improvements. One lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction.
- KY 362 (Ash Avenue): Lane closures and delays possible at Ashbrooke Drive (mile marker 2.29) due drainage improvement. Ashbrooke Drive is closed at KY 362 for culvert installation and waterline work. This road will be closed through late July. Motorists should follow the signed detour via KY 362 to Dunnlea Drive to Confederate Place Drive and then reconnect with Ashbrooke Drive.
- KY 2857 (New Moody Lane): Construction delays possible near Forrest Park Drive (mile marker 1.0) due to new route construction.
- Interstate 64: Lane closures and heavy delays expected from just east of the KY 55 interchange (Exit 32) to the weigh station (mile markers 32.2 to 38.5) due to bridge joint repairs. Lane closures are possible on weekends from 7 p.m. on Friday until 6 a.m. on Monday. Shoulder closures are possible daily due to drainage work.
- KY 44: Lane closures and delays possible between KY 55 to KY 248 (mile markers 9.7 to 14.8) due to pavement preventive maintenance treatment.
- KY 2871 (Connector Road): Roadway is closed at the bridge over the Little Kentucky River (mile marker 0.25) due to bridge replacement. Motorists should follow the signed detour via KY 1335, KY 316, US 421 and US 42.
Copyright 2018 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.