Man shot after bullet inadvertently thrown into fire
GREENTOWN, Ind. (AP) - A central Indiana man was hospitalized after a bullet that was inadvertently thrown into a fire exploded, striking him in the thigh.
The Kokomo Tribune reports the 23-year-old was cleaning out a shed with a friend and throwing unwanted items into a bonfire.
Suddenly, the man heard a loud pop and felt sharp pain. Police say an investigation revealed one of the containers tossed on the fire likely held a .22 caliber bullet, which discharged after it heated up.
Police say the man was taken to a hospital for treatment and a scan revealed metal shards in his thigh.
Howard County Sheriff's Department Capt. Jerry Asher called it a "freak accident" but added that thankfully the man will be OK.
Information from: Kokomo Tribune, http://www.ktonline.com
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.