Murdered toddler found one year ago Monday - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Murdered toddler found one year ago Monday

Monday will mark the one-year anniversary of the gruesome discovery of the body of a once-missing boy. On Sunday a memorial groundbreaking took place to honor 4-year old Cesar Ivan Aguilar Cano and other young victims of violence.

Organizers contend the playground and memorial that will be built will remind the community of violence against children but should also serve as way to educate adults about child safety.  Rosalina Cano spent Sunday breaking ground on a memorial to honor her son and other young victims of violence.

Monday will mark the one-year anniversary since sanitation workers discovered Rosalina son's body in the back of a garbage truck. Police say he had been murdered.  Sister Larraine Lauter,
a family friend says, "This is a very sad day because we are gathering for a child who suffered and in honor of his family who will continue to always suffer."

The groundbreaking marked the beginning of what will become a playground and memorial to honor young victims of violent crimes.  Christopher 2x, Fight Crimes Against Children says, "We came together to raise awareness. Hopefully these memorials will be symbolic reminders that all of us play a part in regards to raising the issue and fighting safety and fighting crimes against children."

While organizers are looking to educate, Rosalina Cano says she think about Ivan everyday.  But she also has thoughts about future. About the impending trial of Cecil New, the registered sex offender police have charged with Ivan's murder.

Police used K-9 units to collect evidence from one of these apartments. A year later, lab results are still coming back. But authorities have yet to release the cause of death for Ivan.  Police Chief White says that information is being withheld. White says, "It was a combination of a couple of things but I kind of want to hold off on commenting on that until after the trial. I think there are still things I'm not in a position to speak to right now."

A trial has been slated to start in February of 2009. Private funds are being used to pay for both the memorial and playground. The cost runs about $50,000 and are slated to be complete by early next year.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.