Office vandalized hours after activist's death - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Office vandalized hours after activist's death

Many are calling it adding salt to the wound after a well-known activist's death and they want those responsible held accountable.  Just hours after the Reverend Louis Coleman died, someone vandalized his office.

The the longtime office of the Justice Resource Center, the place the Reverend Louis Coleman, spent so many hours of his life.  Sometime, late Saturday night, someone did the unthinkable. 

The reality of death had barely sunk in, in fact many people still hadn't come to grips with the sudden passing of civil rights activist, Louis Coleman.  Mattie Jones, Justice Resource Center says, "I'm upset, my leaders gone, and here someone has broke into the building."  Reverend James Tennyson, Coleman friend says, "Reverend Coleman hadn't passed four or five hours, six at the most and someone broke into the center."

While a community mourned and talked about funeral arrangements, the back window of the Justice Resource Center, Reverend Louis Coleman's base of operation, was broken out.

Center members, believe several guns were stolen.  Guns the Reverend Louis Coleman had bought and taken off the streets during his popular "gun-buy-backs."  Phil Russell, Louisville Metro Police says, "It appears that a cabinet that had housed multiple guns that had been part of that gun buy back program, had been at least attempted to be taken."

Coleman had a passion for the program, he would set up on street corners, at shopping centers, or any place he could, to get guns off the streets, he would buy them, no questions asked and then destroy them.

Metro Police say he was working with alcohol, tobacco and firearms agents, to make sure his program was successful.  They would document and log the guns as they were collected.
Jones says, "That was his passion, to get those guns off the street, he said if I don't save but one life, that's one life saved."

Jones and other Justice Resource Center workers, took about two dozen guns that were left behind.  They say when they couldn't work out something with Metro Police to temporarily take custody of the weapons, they got help from the people at Metro Corrections, where officers inspected the weapons logged the serial numbers and put the guns in a safe place.

The Justice Resource Center was preparing to move.  The Reverend Coleman had just finalized plans to relocate, at 28th and hill streets.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.