LMPD investigation into death of PRP football player who collapsed and died - WDRB 41 Louisville News

LMPD investigation into death of PRP football player who collapsed and died

The LMPD homicide unit is looking into whether there was criminal conduct in the death of a Pleasure Ridge Park football player.  This comes at the request of Commonwealth's Attorney Dave Stengel.  15-year-old Max Gilpin collapsed during practice last week and died on Saturday.

Jefferson County Public School's Security and Investigations Unit is also involved because since last week several people have come forward to complain about what they saw and heard at practice.

Mary Frazier was there for her granddaughter's soccer game and is one of dozens who witnessed PRP's football practice last Wednesday:  "The football practice was on one side and the soccer game was on the other, and we were sitting right on the sidelines between the two of 'em."

Frazier doesn't claim to know much about football, but says not only was it hot, but the football coaches seemed to really be pushing the players.  "Couple of the boys wanted to take drinks of water, go over to the fountains, and the coach said that it wasn't time to go for water yet and get back out and practice some more."

Frazier says a short time later, a player collapsed and had to be revived by teammates.  "And it wasn't five minutes later when another one, they were helping him off the field and he went down totally and they couldn't hold him and laid him down -- he was completely unconscious."

The second player was 15-year-old Max Gilpin.  Frazier says, "I was upset that day, thinking, I hope I don't read about him in the paper."

Max Gilpin was rushed to the hospital, but died on Saturday.

Jefferson County Public Schools spokeswoman Lauren Roberts tells Fox 41 News, "Whether they were attending football practice or whether they were at the soccer game next door, we want to know what everybody saw."

Because of witnesses like Frazier, school officials will now conduct an investigation into the death, but maintain the players were given water breaks.  Roberts says, "It does appear from the information that we gathered initially that they were given three ten-minute water breaks."

Meanwhile, as family and friends gathered at Valley View Church on Wednesday to say good-bye to Max, Mary Frazier hopes his death will lead to changes in high school athletics:  "I think they should pay more attention to these kids when they are distressed or need water or pass out -- they need to be taken more seriously."

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.