KY Beef Council's Inside-Out Cheeseburgers
Total preparation and cooking time: 30 to 35 minutes
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1 to 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar or pepper Jack cheese
Coarse salt and black pepper
6 hamburger buns, split
3 tablespoons butter, melted (optional)
2 cups Arugula leaves
6 tomato slices
6 thin sweet onion slices
12 sweet or dill pickle slices
1/2 cup reduced fat or regular mayonnaise
1 to 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
1 tablespoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1. Combine ground beef and cheese, as desired, in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape beef into six 1/2-inch thick patties.
2. Lightly grease grill grate according to manufacturer's directions. Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 11 to 13 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 8 minutes) to medium (160°F) doneness, until not pink in center and juices show no pink color, turning occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
3. Meanwhile combine Chipotle Mayonnaise ingredients in medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Brush cut sides of buns with remaining butter, if desired; place cut sides down on grid during last minute of grilling. Spread some Chipotle Mayonnaise on buns, reserving any remaining to serve on the side.
5. Line bottom of each bun with equal amounts of arugula; top with tomato slices, onion slices, pickle slices and burgers. Close sandwiches. Pass remaining Chipotle Mayonnaise.
Makes 6 servings.
Cook's Tip: For less heat, use the lower amounts of chipotle peppers.